Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Beast Named Thesis


Huddled in the dark corner of my life is the creature I call the Thesis Beast. He is a powerful, expensive and controlling troll that holds greedily within his grasp my self dignity, future, pride, intelligence, freedom and reputation. He has been clasping these things for far too long, giving me little for response when questioned about him. Although I appease him on a daily basis, he is relentless and never seems to end. I always thought I would be a person who would quickly whip the beast. I have all the skills and determination, so why should I not prevail? But no matter how much he coos insults and self-doubt at me from the dark, I try not to listen. Although I have been "almost done" with my thesis for quite some time, the moment rapidly approaches where I will boldly march into the corner, throw all the lights on, bend down, look him in the eye and shove at him the far-too-long, plain, blue-bound thesis. "Here, eat this, you damn monkey!!!!", I will exclaim in his face. In return, he will regretfully hand back to me all the amazing things in my life he has been controlling and slink back to where he came from. I owe it all to the fact that I never believed the things he whispered to me from the dark during the last two years. I just said, "yeah, yeah" and kept my head down.

1 comment:

JT said...

Wow! I can't wait to celebrate this victory with you! When do you get to tell the little monkey to shove it? Hope you're doing well! Thinking of you,
Jen